[thelist] magento / performance / amazon?

David Miller david at deadpansincerity.com
Thu Aug 2 11:07:52 CDT 2012

On 1 August 2012 21:59, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> somewhere down the road we'd encounter performance problems, page load
> speed, the road hog.

What problems are you experiencing exactly, and against what criteria are
you measuring "Success" or "Not A Problem"?

Amazingly, nobody has suggested *instrumenting your current application* in
order to see where the time gets spent :)

What metrics have you collected in order to determine that you have a
problem and analyse what the bottleneck(s) are?

While many of the approaches here are valid solutions to *specific
problems*. You frist have to establish what *your specific problem(s)*
is/are.

> My client has also asked about Amazon hosting.  They do everything else,
> CDN, the works, shouldn't their hosting be superior?

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.

FWIW if you are running on a vanilla, un-tuned server there is almost
certainly a significant performance gain to be had from getting someone who
understands performance tuning to take a look.

I'd want to know exactly what 'tweaking' Hostgator were going to do, and
how 'small' the fee before being in a position to tell you if that was a
good idea...

--
Love regards etc

David Miller