[thelist] One website for an author or separate website for a book?

Nadeem Hosenbokus nadeem at nadeemh.com
Thu Aug 30 05:27:19 CDT 2012

Hi,

I see it as a branding exercise. In the same way that a film studio will
have separate sites for separate films (not exactly the same but bear with
me).

The main reason for this is the marketing and branding. A separate site can
be designed to fit into the "mood" and context of the book. I think that
this makes sense if it is part of a larger marketing strategy.

If it's not part of a larger marketing strategy then it makes more sense to
have the author's website with the book in there or maybe a use a subdomain.

In this particular case, the site doesn't seem to be particular geared
towards the author or book - it seems, in my opinion, to be geared to
towards a concept (in this case the afterlife from a scientific point of
view). If I had to approach it, one of the ideas I would consider (but not
necessarily go with) is to fill the site with scientific titbits about death
and the afterlife and to design it to reinforce the concept.

My final thought, though not directly related to this case, is that if an
author writes books with significantly different themes and belonging to
different genres then a separate site for each book would be well worth it.

Hope something here gives you food for thought.

Thanks,

Nadeem Hosenbokus
(230) 766 9169
www.nadeemh.com