[thelist] searching and JSON

Renoir Boulanger renoirb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:06:40 CDT 2012

<nadeem at nadeemh.com> wrote:
> OK - let me ask the question I've always been unclear about.
>
> If you could build your own would you still use an off-the-shelf CMS and why

I assume it was a question aimed at me.

 To answer your questions:
- I can code my own CMS
- Use a OSS CMS: Yes  ;)

# Why

## Short version:

My reactions are due to questions about bending a CMS into something else that is /not/ content.

A use-case for a inventory-shopping-cart-payment-processing dragon is, you will agree, not content.

It is better using the right tool for the right task and not re-invent the wheel.

## Details as of why

A little background first.

Like many others in this list, my bread and butter is making websites. Mostly with graphic designer agencies.

Today I'm consulting as software developer but that's an other story.

I actually built my own CMS and made more than 150 client's websites between 2001-2007. During that period I did a few web applications too such as B&B reservation system.

My code was procedural, PHP 4, closed source and I was always re-creating html+css patterns.

All those years, I learned the hard way: no university studies. Only passion.

Lots of wasted energy and no re-usable code. After that phase I did quite appreciate open source CMSes.

So yes. I had my lessons learned and actually use "Off the shelf" CMS.

But

When project requires MORE than simply "managing content".

There are solutions for those situations.

Many startups, open source and/or dual licensed projects exists to fulfill the use cases. Those solutions are meant to save time, or who do not have the skills to create (or extend) using frameworks.

Using and modifying is not bad. Don't get me wrong. It is actually a very educative process. But have it's share of caveats. Ones you do not fall into for client work. It costs money, time, and some of our sanity ;)

Among what I learned in my experience is;
  - using a tool for it's destined purposes is much easier than bending
  - Extending (the extendable) is what (ideally) to seek for
  - Learn from the experienced ones ... not re-inventing the wheel

So.

Learn from the experienced needs the seeker to search for the concepts because cleverer people most likely found how, gave a name, and is extensively documenting it.

So.

Use Open-Source. Search how others do. See if it makes sense. Try to improve. Repeat.

My two cents :)

--
Renoir Boulanger
http://renoirboulanger.com/