[thelist] vertical scrollbars

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 12:33:15 CDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Simon MacDonald
<simonmacdonald at uk2.net> wrote:
> Is it not just a matter of defining overflow:scroll; ? -  although you will
> get both horizontal and vertical if you are not careful.

You can separately specify overflow-x and overflow-y for that, but
I think the bigger question is the wisdom of doing it at all :-)

At least on my Mac, there's zero affordance that there's any hidden
content - a scroll bar only appears on mouseover. On iOS, there's
never a scroll bar, even on press, so content may go unnoticed.

Having every content block scrollable seems like a naive attempt
to deal with the "10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag" problem; is
it really necessary to put all that on one page to start with?

I would think there are better design solutions, though I could also
see a use case for a single scrollable block (e.g. recent tweets)...

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan