[thelist] vertical scrollbars

Dave Land land at aol.com
Tue Apr 30 02:13:01 CDT 2013

Bob, et al,

I have another thought about why the designer may have gone this route: so that the three components across the top of the page are the same height, creating a more "tidy" layout, especially where the grid switches from 3 columns to 2.

I worked on a design for an early version of a "Community Center" product that also had pages that attempted to stack 2- and 3-column layouts on a page. It was a pain, and we (briefly) considered the "naive" solution in evidence here.

Needless to say, we found another way to design the page after convincing stakeholders that, no, really, it's the 21st century, and people know that sometimes there's stuff below the bottom of the screen that they can see by scrolling or flicking down the page.

Dave