[thelist] Can Spam Act of 2003

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri Jul 19 16:34:28 CDT 2013

Yes, I understand that tracking down and prosecuting spammers is next to impossible.  Also, the only people who genuinely are concerned with rules and ethics are commonly not the major, serious offenders. People with ethics live in fear of being caught, whereas the other batch doesn't care much, knowing that they can get away with it.

In looking through my spammers, scam artists folder I found a couple in which the spammer does all the usual marketing/spammer techniques in making it vague, sending it out to unaddressed recipients, i.e.

Dear Sir,
Hi there,
etc...

Then of course the icing on the cake is that he/she/it includes a confidentiality line in the signature. In that they are participating in an act of SPAM, would you think that honoring their agreement can be construed as binding and legal as they haven't even taken the time to address you as a real live human being? How can you make an agreement binding when you don't even have identified particulars?

Ethics???

Example:

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission and any documents, files, or previous E-mail messages appended or attached to it, may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or use of the information contained or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by a reply e-mail message and delete the original transmission, its attachments, and any copies without reading or saving in any manner.