[thelist] FTP user and Joomla

Renoir B. renoirb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 14:03:55 CDT 2013

Hello guys.

I simply think that joomla is complaining on saving the configuration.
Assuming the CMS is using a config file for that particular issue.

Otherwise, it is possibly a path issue (same folder, different ftp client).

Just make sure of the following, using the terminal insode your server
docroot:

  1. find . -type d -maxdepth 3 -ls
  2. ps -aux | grep apache

[1]:  find all directories recursively up to 3 levels and list permissions
on them
[2]:  list who is running Apache http server

I think you might find a permission issue for some files or folders.

Remember that listing requires the 'x' flag for at least the group.

Be sure to never, EVER, allow 'chmod 777' on something to make it work.

Just remember file/folder permission basics.

Look at:
d ---rwx---  rmuller apache  ..... hai/
   ---rwx---  rmuller apache ... file.txt

meaning:
- each '-' represents a right, always in rwx order (read, write, eXecute)
  - each three placeholder (e.g 'r-x') represent a different type of right
realm (user, group membersihp, world).

So 777 would be rwxrwxrwx when you could only make sure that where you want
to write, the user has the same either user id, or is member of a
compatible group.

Remember that a directory to be listed, the user has to be allowed the X
right.

Hope it helped understand file permissions.

Regards,

Renoir Boulanger  |  Developer operations engineer
W3C  |  Web Platform Project

https://renoirboulanger.com/  ✪  @renoirb
~