[thelist] Protecting a paid membership website from password sharing

Christopher Marsh Christopher.Marsh at akqa.com
Mon Aug 19 14:31:27 CDT 2013

Bob

On 19/08/2013 18:51, "Bob Meetin" <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

[..]

>A couple years back when I left the country and attempted to access my
>Facebook developers' account Facebook gave me fits (and of course I
>failed my own security questions); I suspect this was based upon a
>country block or subnet rule.
>
>Other ideas?

If it's worth people sharing an account, they will share regardless of
what constraints you put in place. By trying too hard to prevent it you'll
just alienate legitimate users, and hurt your business. An alternative is
to add analytics that report on whether accounts are actually being
shared. If they are, introduce shared accounts to your business model -
making it easier for people to pay to share than cheat. Treat it as an
opportunity, not a cost.

Cheers, Chris