[thelist] Single and double quotes - forms and mysql

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Sep 24 02:03:27 CDT 2013

Renoir,

I will take a look.

In the meantime I'm testing an 'obvious' solution. In my reading and testing I've been attempting to use mysql_real_escape_string in conjunction with addslashes because so many tutorials point to this. Dropping the addslashes when preparing the data for insert is working wonders, then adding stripslashes in reposting back to the form makes the form happy and I'm seeing the data as I want in the content table.

function escape_data ($data){
   $data = mysql_real_escape_string(trim($data));
   $data = str_replace("<?php", '&lt;?php',  $data);
   $data = str_replace("<?", '&lt;?',  $data);
   $data = str_replace("?>", '?&gt;',  $data);
   return $data;
}

$title = escape_data($_POST['title']); // insert into mysql

I'm testing the above on the posted data and it seems to be working. It should not be necessary but I added a couple simple replacements to convert <?php to simple text (maybe should be case-insensitive).

For reposting the data, something like:

function post_data ($data) {
   $data =  htmlspecialchars (stripslashes($data));
   return ($data);
}

$title = post_data($row['title']); // taken from mysql, used in the form

Bob

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz