[thelist] character encoding nightmare

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mcn.org
Thu Mar 16 23:35:50 UTC 2017

>How are you copying data from DB 1 to DB 2 or are you sending data to both at the same time via the same script? Either way, How are you escaping / making the data safe for insertion into the DB?

The updating scripts are not public; they’re in a password-protected folder for just me and my client. So, I’m not concerned about injection attacks. Maybe I should be.

When we update, we enter data into forms on site1 (universitypressaudiobooks.com). The data goes through a script which uses htmlentities(). It also does some other character replacements, but I don’t think that’s likely to be the issue. The entity-ized strings get inserted or updated  into DB1 and the updating page auto-submits a form with the same strings to a page on site2 (militaryaudiobooks.com) which does the same query with what’s supposedly the same data into DB2. But somehow the apostrophes and quotes go cuckoo on site2.

    thanks,
   Garth