[thelist] character encoding nightmare

Garth Hagerman hagerman at mcn.org
Thu Mar 16 23:57:55 UTC 2017

>Are you sending the second page the "sanitized" strings, or the raw strings from the form post? Are you running the htmlentities() function on the second page?

I did not know about the sanitize_string filter. The base setup for this operation just sends the same entity-ized string to DB2 that was inserted into DB1. I don’t see how it’d help. There are some simple html tags in these strings, so my scripts de-entityize the < and >. If I understand the sanitize filter correctly, I’d lose them entirely.
I’ve tried a number of variations to no avail. I’ve tried sending the raw strings to site2 and entity-izing them there. Same results.
I’ve used html_entity_decode() on the string on site2, and then re-enity-izing it. Same results.