[Javascript] Click on link to generate text in a textarea?

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Fri Dec 21 14:23:34 CST 2001

    Perhaps you could use the onFocus() event handler to send a textbox's
name to a hidden form field and then use the eval() function to dynamically
build the name of the correct box.  The only problem you might have is that
I'm not sure whether or not the onFocus event is triggered for everything
(i.e. tabbing into the field).  I guess some experimentation is in order.

<TEXTAREA NAME="text1"
onFocus="document.mainForm.hiddenField.value='text1';"

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
function writeText(newText) {
    var boxName = eval("document.mainForm." +
document.mainForm.hiddenField.value);
     // Build the reference to the text box
     var myBox = eval("document.mainForm." + boxName);
     // Concatenate the new text to the end of the current text
     // (The /n is a carriage return)
     myBox.value = myBox.value + "\n" + newText;
     }
 </SCRIPT>