[Javascript] How can i strict the length of TextAread form element ?

Manuel Socarras Reyes msocarras at terra.es
Mon Dec 24 09:09:19 CST 2001

something like this should work, specially if you don't want the user typing
more chars than allowed
--
Saludos,

Manuel Socarrás Reyes <msocarras at terra.es>
Barcelona. Spain

<head>
<title></title>
<script>
  function restrictLenght(field, countfield, maxlimit) {
    if (field.value.length > maxlimit)
      field.value = field.value.substring(0, maxlimit);
    else
      countfield.value = maxlimit - field.value.length;
  }
</script>
</head>
<form name="comments">
    <textarea cols=40 name="typed" rows=3 " wrap="virtual"
onKeyDown="restrictLenght(comments.typed,comments.left,120);" >
  </textarea>
    <input type="text" name="left" value="120">
</form>