[javascript] Appearance of Form Elements

Chris Basken chriz at basken.com
Fri Mar 16 10:41:17 CST 2001

simple CSS works fine on NS4.x (stuff like: setting the font face, size,
color, page background color, etc...).  you can use these without much fear.

positional CSS is unstable (absolute positioning of images, paragraphs,
divs, spans, etc).  the biggest headache is that NS considers any
absolutely-positioned element as its own document object, so any references
to an object inside such an element needs to be referenced
(document.layers[foo].document.forms[bar], etc).  this gets ugly with nested
elements.

form appearance CSS -- which i think is at the core of your question -- is
almost totally unsupported in NS 4.x.