[Javascript] Opening Intranet links with a set navigation frame

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Tue Mar 20 10:50:16 CST 2001

David,

    To do this properly, you'll probably want some type of server-side logic, but it can be done from the client (just a little bit messier and not as secure).

    First you'll send the URL with the page name attached in the querystring, e.g.

http://sitename/framepage.html?pagename=thispage.html

    Then in the page you can either retrieve the querystring by a nice clean server-side method, or you can parse the window.location.href and get the piece after "?pagename=" to find the page you want in the frame.

    From there it's just a matter of writing the necessary frameset code in the browser.  There's the server-side way, depending of course on what server you're using, and then there's the client-side JavaScript method (just use document.write).

    Here's a little demo I whipped up to get the page name out of the URL.  You have to click the link once to get the querystring value; let me know if you have any more questions.

*******Sample code********

<head>
 <title>URL Variable Snatcher</title>
</head>

<A HREF="testpage.html?pagename=booga.html">Click here</A><BR>
<FORM>
Top page: <INPUT NAME="field2" SIZE=80><BR>
Frame page: <INPUT NAME="field1" SIZE=80>
</FORM>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
var pageName;
var framePage;
var startIndex;
var endIndex;

var pageName = window.location.href;
var startIndex = window.location.href.indexOf("?pagename=") + "?pagename=".length;
var endIndex = window.location.href.length;

var framePage = pageName.substring(startIndex,endIndex);

document.forms[0].field1.value = framePage;
document.forms[0].field2.value = pageName;
</SCRIPT>

******* End of Sample Code ********