[Javascript] RE: Opening file on server from client PC via link

phumes1 at home.com phumes1 at home.com
Wed Nov 14 07:34:33 CST 2001

Hi,

Yes...me again!

I'm using the following code to open a file in UltraEdit. It's working
except for the file path specified in the editor when the file gets opened.

	<header name="Content-Disposition" value="inline; filename=test.dat">
	<content type="application/dat" file="d:/dir1/subdir1/test.dat"
deletefile="No">

[D:\Documents and Settings\user.name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\SD6XVCDR\filename[1].dat]

Below is a reply I received from a forum regarding my problem.

<quote>

Not. RFC 2616 explicitly forbids the interpreation of path info by a
browser because it could be a security risk. So your browser will not pass
this info on to UltraEdit.

</quote>

This is correct but I think it was an intentional interpretation. I know
that people have "hacked" around this (I can recall instances where I went
to save files and it ended up trying to go to the floppy disk for example).