[Javascript] (no subject)

Larry Cotton laurence.cotton at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 18 08:26:42 CST 2002

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding frames. The first is about whether I
can avoid using them and the second is about refreshing frames.

1) I have a situation where the first part of the page is a simple search
engine that, when activated (by a button press) uses javascript to generate
and search an array. When the search is complete I wish to display the
results below in the second half of the page. The viewer can then make some
selections from the output and javascript is used to store any selections
and perform any actions on the displayed items in the array. The array is
stored in an object that must be accessible by both sections of the page.
I'm not a huge fan of frames and was wondering if it is possible to do this
sort of thing without using frames ?

2) I noticed that when there are two frames in a frameset and the bottom
frame has been displayed using javascript, the bottom frame is not reset
when the refresh button is pressed on the browser. Does anyone know a) why
this is and b) how to make sure both frames are refreshed ?

Cheers
Larry