[Javascript] Browser sniffer script question

Michael J. Mahony igby at mediaone.net
Fri Feb 1 16:42:04 CST 2002

On 1 Feb 2002 at 18:27, Lisa Bradshaw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I don't know a whole lot of javascript. I'm mostly a cut-n-paster. I know
> enough to usually be able to tweek a script for my needs. I'm using a
> browser sniffer so I can determine what style sheet to serve up. Problem is,
> I don't know how to translate it fron HTML. Any help would be most
> appreciated. What I want to do is, if the browser is NN4 I want a specific
> style sheet loaded into the parent window. Here's the HTML way to load the
> style sheet:
>  <.link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css">  but how do I do
> it whithin a javascript "if " statement?
> TIA,
> Lisa

Test for the browser type and then insert the stylesheet information with a
document.write command:

function insertStylesheet()
{
if(navigator.appName=="Microsoft Internet Explorer")
{
	document.write "<.link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='iestyles.css'>"
}

if(navigator.appName=="Netscape")
{
	document.write "<.link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='nsstyles.css'>"

Just call this function where you would want to insert the style sheet:

<head>
<title>Document</title>
<script language ="javascript">
insertStylesheet()
</script>
</head>
blahblahblah

Hope that helps.
Michael J. Mahony

Philippians 4:13 --
    I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.