[Javascript] Browser Support for JavaScript

gregory.john.toland at census.gov gregory.john.toland at census.gov
Thu Jan 10 09:31:35 CST 2002

This IS for a government site, and I am more than aware of Section 508.
Section 508 does not say you cannot use javascript.  It says if you use
javascript you must offer an alternative approach.  Our "Browser Notice"
merely explains that, if possible, you use a browser that supports
javascript or you enable it (if you have it turned off).  We say it will
make the visit more enjoyable.  If this is not possible, we say we still
offer an alternative approach.  Remember, the Browser Notice is seen by all
users.  For those non-508 users they will be given notice that they should
use javascript.  For those 508 users we have gone the extra effort to build
an alternative approach that still gives them the same data.

Ex.
     We use an image map where a user (w/ javascript enabled) can click on
any state of the US.  A Listing of all sites/counties of that particular
state pop up in a frame.  This allows the user to click on any of the items
and get a data profile.
(http://dev4.acs.census.gov/c2ss/www/Products/Profiles/2000/index.htm).
For those users that are not using a javascript-enabled browser or for
those 508 users that are using software that do not support  javascript we
have offered an alternative solution in the form of a table
(http://dev4.acs.census.gov/c2ss/www/Products/Profiles/2000/ARNS.htm).

I wanted the "Browser Notice" to display (among other items) a section on
Javascript.  This section would display a table of the major browsers and
what installed version of javascript they contained.  Then, some
instructions on how to check whether JS was enabled or not.  Sometimes JS
has become disabled (because they decided to go into "Internet Options"
(IE) one day and start selecting/deselecting items without knowing what
they were really doing).  This Notice would be more for the newbies and not
for people like members of this list.

Gregory J Toland
Sr. Systems Architect
CHM, Inc.
(301) 457-8058
tolan002 at census.gov

                    "Jeff Howden"
                    <jeff at c4webdesign       To:     <javascript at LaTech.edu>
                    .com>                   cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     RE: [Javascript] Browser Support for JavaScript
                    javascript-admin@
                    LaTech.edu

                    01/10/2002 09:46
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    javascript

gregory,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: gregory.john.toland at census.gov
>
> Yes, I understand, but the majority of users do not
> upgrade their scripting engines.  For our web site we
> want to have a Browser Notice that basically says what
> versions of Netscape and IE supported javascript.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

ok, now i'm sorta curious why.  do you have sections of the site built that
require javascript to work?  is this for a .gov project?  are you aware
that
requiring javascript to access something is against section 508 of the
workforce investment act of 1998?

if you're not requiring javascript to use/access something then there's no
need to tell the end consumer which browsers had which versions of
javascript as you can simply detect object and method detection so your
script doesn't break.

i wouldn't be such a stickler about this, if it weren't for the fact that
most web surfers don't even have a clue what javascript is, let alone what
it's for or why they need it.  if possible, you're much better off trying
do everything you can to never mention it to the end user.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/