[Javascript] window.open

Andrew Peterson webmaster at mail.ioc.state.il.us
Thu Jan 31 14:12:16 CST 2002

Hi,

I'm learning JS in depth but in the meantime I need help modifying this
generic window.open script that merely opens up a webpage in another window.
Instead of having the webpage hard coded, I'd like to pass it in.

Currently, the hard coded script is setup like so. I create a hyperlink:

<A HREF="javascript: makeRemote()">click here</a>

Which calls the function:

<script>
function makeRemote() {
         remote =
window.open("","remotewin","width=300,height=110,scrollbars=1");
         remote.location.href = "http://www.mysite.com/AddrInd.cfm";
             if (remote.opener == null) remote.opener = window;
         remote.opener.name = "opener";
         }
         //-->
</script>

What I'd like to do is pass in the file name, in this case AddrInd.cfm. I
was trying something like:

<A HREF="javascript: makeRemote(AddrInd)">click here</a>

and the script would look like:

<script>
function makeRemote(fileName) {
         remote.location.href = "http://www.mysite.com/"+filename+".cfm";
             if (remote.opener == null) remote.opener = window;
         remote.opener.name = "opener";
         }
         //-->
</script>

But I get an undefined error. I also am fairly certain I've passed in the
variable wrong and have the quotes all screwed up.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew