[Javascript] Q on parsing

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Wed Jul 24 01:17:09 CDT 2002

Toms last message got me thinking, and this is what I came up with. (see
below)

It works, but it is ugly as sin.

Anyone fell like 'improving' it?

Walter

========================

   // Loop through the format string
   while ( i < intFormatLen )
   {
      // clear token
      token = "";

      // Retrieve individual character
      curChar = strFormat.charAt(i);

      // Build the format tokens
      while (( strFormat.charAt(i) == curChar ) && ( i < intFormatLen ))
      {
         // Add current character to token string
         token += strFormat.charAt(i);

         // Increment to retrieve next char
         i++;

         // See if we have a single qoute with its mate next to it
         if ( ( token == "'" ) && ( strFormat.charAt(i) != "'" ) )
         {
            // clear token
            token = "";

            // Loop through format string until we see another single quote
            while (( strFormat.charAt(i) != "'" ) && ( i < intFormatLen ))
            {
               // Pull out character
               cChr = strFormat.charAt(i);

               // Add it to to token string if it is not a single quote
               token += ( cChr != "'" ) ? cChr : '';

            }

            // Increment to retrieve next char
            i++;

      // Look at the individual token, one or more characters in length
      // and pull corosponding value from format collection,
      // otherwise just pass the token through
      result += formatOptions ( token );
   }

   return result;

Thanks