[Javascript] How can search engines see a js include for navigation?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Mar 22 12:12:16 CST 2002

> "Filipiak, Bob (Contractor)" wrote:
>
> AFAIK Even if the browser has JavaScript disabled the code still downloads.

OK, that didn't seem logical -- what would be the point? -- so I
tested it.

Neither Moz0.9.7/Win nor IE5.5/Win with scripting off display the
<noscript> content from an external *.js file.

And more relevant to the question -- re' /search engines/ following
JS menu links -- Lynx doesn't see the <noscript> content either ...

So I'd bet there's a high probability that most search engines do
/not/ follow external JS references ...

> If the term "include" is being used as in
>
>   <script type="text/javascript" src="mystuff.js"></script>
>
> rather than a server-scripting-based include --
>
> Why would a user agent that doesn't understand JavaScript follow a
> script source link to a file that has <noscript> tags in it? :-)

FWIW!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --