[Javascript] Retrieving cookies and redirecting to another page

Rodney Myers rodney at aflyingstart.net
Thu May 2 04:10:39 CDT 2002

var url=window.location.href;
var urlSplit=url.split("/");

Assuming the URL is "http://www.yourdomain.com/12345678"
then urlSplit is an Array with these element values:

0    http:
1
2    www.yourdomain.com
3    12345678

so you would use a setCookie function to save the value of urlSplit[3]

Then redirect to the index page

window.location="http://www.yourdomain.com/";

And in that page pick up the cookie
writing this code in a function that is invoked by the onLoad event in

var rfr = getCookie(cookiename);

document.formName.referrer.value=rfr;

You will need to test for the case where no cookie is set and adapt the
code.

setCookie / getCookie functions you can find in many books/websites.

hth

Rodney