[Javascript] language attribute or type attribute in Navigator?

Steve extstarrfam at cox-internet.com
Thu May 16 19:07:03 CDT 2002

I created a page with a function in it's body that is
called from the body tag of another page:
onLoad="open('DisplayWindowInfo.htm').displayInformatio
n(this.document)">

The function examines the contents of the opener window
and then displays the information gathered in it's own
document body.  Every thing works without additional
code when IE 5.5 is used.  For Netscape 6.2 I had to
add a line of code to access the function in the body
of the child page:
if (navigator.appName.toLowerCase( )=='netscape')
displayInformation( );
function displayInformation(document) {

However I can not get Netscape Navigator 4.72 to access
the function on the child page unless I remove the type
attribute from the script tag ( <script
language="javascript1.3" type="text/javascript1.3"> ).

I thought the language attribute was being depreciated
not the type attribute.  I tried changing the
JavaScript version number to 1 and 1.1 while retaining
the type attribute.  It did not work.  The only way
every thing works is if I remove the type attribute.
If I do this, it works from JavaScript version 1.3 to
1.0.  As far as I know, I must have the type attribute.

Does any one have an idea on what is going wrong?