[Javascript] Re: Javascript Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

Lewis Shadoff lshadoff at brazosport.cc.tx.us
Tue Apr 1 14:26:31 CST 2003

Netscape has developed a cross-browser DHTML API named xbStyle:

<http://devedge.netscape.com/toolbox/examples/2002/xb/xbStyle/>

which is described as:

"xbStyle is an JavaScript Object that is used to expose the style
properties of an Element in a cross browser fashion. Netscape Navigator
4.x, Gecko based browsers such as Netscape 6.x, Internet Explorer 4+ and
Opera 5+ are supported. "

Using this you can set the "top" and "left" locations of any positioned
object in the above browsers dynamically in order to make them appear to move.

Lew

At 12:00 PM 4/1/2003, Andrew Gibson wrote:

>I will submit some scripts of my own, that one can find them less practical
>than entertaining, something like making page elements absolutely
>positioned, after this becoming able to move them across the page, recording
>the move, playing it back or backwards, and what is most important for me,
>very short (few lines) and very fast executionable.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>I've certainly been able to drag elements across the page witha script, at
>least in IE 5+ but I've never been able to get it slickly working in
>Netscape. I can mimic the window/outlook interface of dragging things around
>the screen, but its only effective for small images and text I've found. I
>tried doing it with a form once, but found half the form couldn't keep up
>with the drag!

Lewis A. Shadoff, Ph.D.
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX