[Javascript] Any creative way to pullhtmlcontentsamewayjsfilesare pulled

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Fri Apr 4 13:10:10 CST 2003

  I think your idea has a lot of merit, but I'd like to add one caveat --

  I've tried setting a bogus variable at the bottom of a load for an HTML
document and using it as a flag to tell whether the window is fully "built".
I'm here to tell you it doesn't work -- at least not reliably, and not 100%
of the time.

  The problem is that the HTML build is (for all intents and purposes) a
multi-threaded process.  Things will come up on your screen as little boxes
with red-X's or "broken code" object icons, while the stuff below them gets
put together.  Then, as the various elements complete loading, the little x
bodes or broken-code icons will be replaced by the elements they were acting
for as place holders.  Hence, your 'I_am_done' variable might get built a
lot sooner than you anticipate.

  The method I'm exploring (as an adjunct to your excellent idea of using an
IFRAME wrapper) is to use a "document.watch()" call, with the appropriate
event used as a trigger within the watch.  The designated event handler will
kick in, and the necessary action occur AT THE DOCUMENT LEVEL, rather than
as a consequence of a single changed variable field.  Sort of like an
'onLoad' event, but rather one that works AFTER the build, rather than at
the start.  (onLoad is awfully nebulous -- it doesn't really kick in after
the load is complete, and it doesn't really kick in at the very earliest
beginning before any objects are on the page.  In short, it is dangerous to
rely on onLoad.)  I think if I can build an event trap handler around the
right event [and there are literally hundreds of them] this might actually
work pretty well.

  One rather crude method is to write the file that goes into the
zero-dimensioned IFRAME window with some kind of loop that does a
document.close() once the last line is in place.  The document.close() is
one thing I know I can pick up on with a 'watch()' handler.

  Anyway, I'm still in the preliminary research stage on this.

  -- Dave Lovering