[Javascript] ADMIN: Important that all read.

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Sat Apr 5 18:32:36 CST 2003

I finally got Yahoo Groups to fix a 2 1/2 year problem.

On eGroups the JavaScript list was merely being "mirrored" there, people
could not join the JavaScript list via eGroups, they could only view posts
via a Web interface and also the archives. When Yahoo Groups bought
eGroups, they, without asking me, changed things so that people could also
"subscribe" via Yahoo, acted as if the list was being hosted by Yahoo.
Giving the list a split personality, one side of which I no longer had any
control over (could not help people unsubscribe, change list settings to
reflect list settings on the other half, etc).

I finally (persistence paid off) got this corrected. I can now administer
the list's Yahoo groups side.

Instead of having this split personality for the list, and the added
complications to administering that causes, I am going to merge the
two halves together. I will be moving the Yahoo groups half to the LA Tech
half. Another reason is that the archives on the Yahoo side is becoming
smaller than the archives on the Tech server, the list reached it's archive
limit on Yahoo some time ago and thus all the old messages were being
automatically deleted.

This will mean that some members will receive "you are unsubscribed"
messages followed by "welcome to the JavaScript list" messages. For those
that have set their list setting to "no mail", unfortunately I will have to
change that so that you will receive this message. Some nomail settings
were the results of bounced messages, some maybe 1 or 2 1/2 years ago,
during the time when I was unable to administer the Yahoo side of the list
and so some people will have forgotten that they were on this list, my
apologies for the sudden mail.

You can easily unsubscribe by going to:

scroll down to the bottom to see the unsubscribe button. Put in your email
address and on the next screen enter the password that was sent to you in
your "welcome to the list" email. If you forget your password, that page
will also have a way to have it sent to you.

I very much apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

The Yahoo Groups side has been deleted.

TTFN,
David Merchant

Director of Integrated Technology