[Javascript] Isolation of code

Michael Dougherty Michael_Dougherty at PBP.com
Fri Apr 11 10:14:58 CDT 2003

Why not put each function in it's own file?  Each application can include
only the functions it uses

or am i missing the point?

-----Original Message-----
From: javascript at LaTech.edu [mailto:javascript at LaTech.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 10:56 AM
To: javascript at latech.edu
Subject: [Javascript] Isolation of code

I was wondering if there was a "clean" way of embedding multiple PHP
modules or other server-side
code constructs within a single HTML document without having to worry
about fall-through execution.
I've now whipped the callable external routine issues (without requiring
remotes), but I'd like to
cut down on gazillions of little external PHP, ASP, or whatever routines
that ride around with the
app web page(s).

Yes, I am familiar with the use of libraries (and often use them), but the
downside is that everything
in the library gets hauled in at the same time, irrespective of the need
for it.  Pulling everything
by reference instead of by inclusion cuts down on executable code bulk,
but ups the execution latency
something fierce.  I'm also a bit queasy about building a whole bunch of
separate libraries having
just the right routines for each app, and then keeping them straight and
managing the revision control
issues.

I've explored using embedded hash tags within spans as wrappers, but so
far there's no joy in Mudville.
Any notions?  It is virtually certain that someone has tackled this
before, even if only in the context
of "plain" HTML modules which are included inline, but only invoked as
required.

-- Dave Lovering