[Javascript] Q on interuppting char entry

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Fri Apr 11 17:16:46 CDT 2003

I personally like your method (I use it myself), as it is independent of
browser-specificity.  However, if you want a
"clean" screen presentation, you can use the key.event handler at the next
layer down.

<input name='myButton' type='button' onKeyPress='do_key(event)'>

<script language='JavaScript'>
<!--
        function do_key(evt) {
            var charCode = (navigator.appName == "Netscape") ? evt.which :
evt.keyCode;
            status = charCode;
            if (charCode == <crap>) {
               return false;
            }
            if (charCode == <goodStuff>) {
                return true;
// -->
</script>

Obviously, <crap> and <goodStuff> should be replaced with the keycodes for a
character you want to destroy, or preserve (respectively).  On most
platforms, this doesn't flash.

-- Dave Lovering