[Javascript] Re: Standards

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Apr 11 18:48:27 CDT 2003

David Lovering wrote:

/* this is getting a bit far afield from JavaScript, but ... */

> (1)     font-sizing includes both relative and absolute sizes in canonical
> format:

Aside from the FONT tag being deprecated, size='10px' isn't even valid.
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#edef-FONT>

> (3)    On button labels I refer both to the 'value' variety and to the
> embedded legend variety.  Also, the use of the newer <BUTTON> construct
> doesn't seem to be respected, and only <INPUT TYPE="BUTTON"> works even
> vaguely like it should.  ANYTHING (button, image, whatever) that has
> provisions for labelling should be able to accommodate a <legend> directive,
> and Netscape doesn't cut it.

What's a "directive"? There is no "legend" attribute in the standard
and the only use of the LEGEND tag is as a child of FIELDSET.
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-LEGEND>

> (4)    For those who are anal-retentive about labelling REAL button widgets
> (as opposed to INPUT TYPE=BUTTON widgets), try the following example:
>
>         <button name='myButton' type='image' src='blank.gif'
>                     style='background-color: #cccccc; border-style: ridge;
> border: 1pt ridge; height: 18px; width: 60px'
>                     onClick='alert("bite me!")'>
>             <legend align='center' style='text-align: center'>
> font-size: 7pt'>Bite Me!</font>
>             </legend>
>         </button>

And this isn't valid either -- there's no 'src' attribute to BUTTON,
'image' isn't a valid value for 'type', and I already mentioned the
LEGEND tag ...
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-BUTTON>

You can't use invalid markup and then complain about how a browser
handles it. Well, you can, of course, but it's a bit silly ;-)

And back to the list topic, HTML isn't CSS isn't JavaScript, eh?

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.