[Javascript] Q on interuppting char entry

Michael Dougherty Michael_Dougherty at PBP.com
Sat Apr 12 16:37:47 CDT 2003

set onkeypress to false?  how will you delete the existing contents so you
can reword your sentences to make them short enough to fit?  Doing that
would be like making the enabled property false, and making the control
useless as an input device.

can you have the form event handler trap onkeydown, then get the id of the
firing object to determine the maxlength and simply return false if the
length is reached? (and you're not keying a del/bksp)

-----Original Message-----
From: javascript at LaTech.edu [mailto:javascript at LaTech.edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 2:09 PM
To: javascript at latech.edu
Subject: Re: [Javascript] Q on interuppting char entry

I admire your script, but it's to messy for me.
I vould rather simply set the maxLength var for the text input and then
retrieve the length from last onkeyup event to se if the maxLength is met,
and then set the onkeypress to false, -no other character will ocur and
you
will get rid of that 'flash' forever.

So, try to return the keypress to false after the char limit is met.

Cheers!