[Javascript] ssi, layers, table alternative to frames

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Mon Apr 14 15:31:30 CDT 2003

Well, if one is sufficiently courageous, one can do some heavy dinking
with createElement("td"), createElement("tr"), and modifying the resulting
objects with .innerHTML assignments, but it is a real pain to have to drop in the
umpety-ump gazillion HTML/javascript lines into a table by hand.  Yes,
it is doable.  Yes, I've done it (for small tables).  No, I wouldn't want
to do it for full-fledged window applications running on a web interface.

Aside from layers, frames are scalable, and can be shrunk or expanded at will.
By attaching scrollbar widgets to a table, you can achieve much the same effect,
but the coding is a bit more gruesome.

Probably the greatest single drawback to using tables versus frames, is that you
have only one 'window' geometry to play with, and everything has to be based on
absolute screen coordinates.  This doesn't hurt if you never do any image-maps or
drag-and-drop stuff, but it's hell-on-wheels if you do.  Again, it can be managed,
but it is somewhat more complicated.

I'm sure the older (? are there such things ?) and wiser JavaScript gurus will now
come out of the woodwork, and shoot my naive impressions full of holes.

-- Dave Lovering