[Javascript] help in X-Browser caret POS pls...

Walter Torres walter at torres.ws
Wed Apr 16 16:49:48 CDT 2003

George Zabanah graciously offer this little didly [see below] for general
use (thanks George!), but it is IE only.

Can anyone in here convert this to work with NN 6+ (4 would be nice, but...)
Opera, and the others?

I've not been having any luck on my end with it.

Thanks

Walter

// Copyright (C) George Zabanah April 8, 2003
// Please feel free to use this ... but leave this header on top
//    'bolStart' = true  - return begining point of selection
//    'bolStart' = false - return ending point of selection
//    If no select is made, then either will return current caret
//    location
function ReturnCaretPOS ( bolStart )
{
   var caretPos = window.document.selection.createRange().duplicate();
       caretPos.collapse(bolStart);
       caretPos.moveStart("textedit",-1);
   return caretPos.text.length;