[Javascript] Can I Give Myself a Cookie ?

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Wed Apr 23 09:22:12 CDT 2003

Any directory on the client's machine which contains files which can be
imported, tested for existence, or otherwise accessed as part of an active window
document is what I meant by "accessible".  Normally, unless a directory
is hidden or otherwise made unavailable, all child directories of this
parent are also "visible", in that file-existence tests and so forth can
be run against their contents as well.  "Down-stream" is merely a euphemism for
all child directories that share the same access privileges as the parent.

Naturally, we are speaking in the context of JavaScript files here.  Other
packages (such as Active-X, or PHP) have their own characteristics in terms
of being able to access file resources on the server and/or client, respectively.

Generally, both JavaScript and Java are built around a "secure" file model, and
discourage direct access to file objects on the client system.  However, as we've
seen in the discussions of the last few weeks there are ways to circumvent this
(at least in the case of JavaScript).  Clumsy, awkward, and complicated, it's
true, but powerful once the scripts to do it have been written.

-- Dave Lovering