[Javascript] Read/write html tag contents with Netscape

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 04:55:19 CDT 2003

>Thanks, Andrew.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get your method to
>work with Netscape 4.  This is as far as I've gotten; it works with IE 6 &
>Netscape 6 but fails on Netscape 4.7:
>
>	} else if (NS4) {
>		// stab in the dark!
>		document.layers[argTagName].document.open();
>		document.layers[argTagName].document.write("NS4");
>		document.layers[argTagName].document.close();

>Is there something wrong with the syntax
>"document.layers[argTagName].document"?

No, but the layer argTagName *must* have a position: absolute or relative in
the CSS, or Netscape 4 won't count it as a layer.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Browser Wars II: The Saga Continues
http://evolt.org/article/rdf/25/60181/