[Javascript] JavaScript to PHP variable transfer

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Wed Aug 20 17:20:18 CDT 2003

In regards to my previous posting, I tried something so simple that it had earlier eluded my consideration, and lo and behold, it worked!  The method (if done elegantly) requires two routines -- one in JavaScript, and one in PHP:

<head>
  <title> bogus </title>
  <script language='JavaScript'>
  <!--
    var myVal = 'happy, happy!';

    function getvariable(val) {
      var dummy = eval(val);
      document.write(dummy);
    }
  // -->
  </script>
  <?php
    function get_JS_var($js_var_name) {
      $x = "<script> getvariable('" . $js_var_name . "'); </script>";
      return $x;
    }
  ?>
</head>
  <form name='myForm' action='javascript:void(null)'>
    <?php
      $abc = get_JS_var("document.forms[0].name");
      $def = get_JS_var("myVal");
    ?>
    <center><?php print "abc: " . $abc; ?></center><br>
    <center><?php print "def: " . $def; ?></center><br>
  </form>

As you can see should you try it, the method works fine -- both for static variables,
and for JavaScript objects.  I imagine something similar could be made to work for
PERL, Python, etc.

-- Dave Lovering