[Javascript] JavaScript to PHP variable transfer

David T. Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Thu Aug 21 15:09:01 CDT 2003

Cumbersome to the max!

I think you may be right -- but convincing the customer to overhaul their
web services to focus on XML and SOAP might be a tough order.

I was hoping for a "theoretically unsatisfying, but useful" band-aid I could
slap on the sucking chest-wound until the patient was out of triage.

Like, for example --

  where "var myVal = 17"; (previously set in JavaScript), and

  Given the construct (in PHP): $x = "<script> document.write( myVal ); </script>";

  [Where everything between the "<script> and </script> is vanilla JavaScript]...

  What kind of transmogrification is necessary to map $x into the two-byte string "17"
  such that it remains readable in the PHP domain?

That would keep me happy -- for now!

-- Dave