[Javascript] downloading javascript

Bob and Sharon Hiller rhiller at shianet.org
Sat Jul 12 09:50:31 CDT 2003

Hello,

We have hundreds of html pages that are using the same external javascript. We get an error on some of the pages, object not found (from the external javascript).

When the first page is sent the external javascript should be in the users cache. but somehow toward the end of the html pages the external javascript can not be found.  Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  Why is the javascript not in the users cache at this point.  If the javascript is not found it seems like it would be getting the code from the webserver?  could the html on the page be so small that the javascript does not have time to download from the server?

Questions:
1. Why wouldn't the javascript still be in the user cache?
2. If the javascript is not found, why isn't the script found on the webserver?
3. Could the html be so small that the javascript does not have time to download?  The javascript is 9kb.
4. How is a page loaded?  ie starts with the html and as soon as external import is found, downloads the javascript?  when the end html is found does all downloads stop?

Thanks for your help!