[Javascript] peculiarity of onselectstart

BEKIM BACAJ trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 12:54:57 CDT 2003

Well, you owe me this one!

the onselectstart turned false disables all the content from being selected,
no matter what you do after this will not help so wei will filter unwanted
items like this:

    <head>
      <title> Trojani </title>
      <script language='JavaScript'>
      <!--

function filterSelectability(){
		var inptName=event.srcElement.name;
//Headache! - suppressing error for "undefined" elements
	if (typeof(inptName) == "undefined"){return false}
//making this compare 'true' for all elements named 'field' no matter the
number- helpfull enough!
		var fld=inptName.substring(0,5);
	if(fld=='field'){return true}
		    else{return false}
		}
        document.onselectstart = filterSelectability;
      // -->
      </script>
    </head>

      <form name='myBogusForm' action='javascript:void(null)'>
        <center>

          <input name='field1' type='text' value='' size=30 ><br>
          <input name='field2' type='text' value='' size=30 ><br>

        </center>
      </form>

Had some hard time with undefined items but it is solved now,
Cheers!