[Javascript] Timing Issues

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Mon Jul 21 09:22:25 CDT 2003

One of the apps I'm working on now is a database engine for a web-site which
occassionally requires humongous tables to appear on the remote
(client-side) screen.  Since I'm using a combination of server-side PHP/SQL
and client-side JavaScript to paint this, there are timing issues involved
on both sides.

Aside from indexing, caching, hash-codes, compression, etc. (which I'm
investigating), one obvious way to appease the user on the client window is
to paint the screen record-by-record as the data comes in, rather than
waiting until the entire table is completed before updating the aforesaid
window.  What is the best way to do this?  Are there any JavaScript/DOM
directives that will force intermediate updates rather than waiting for the
object load to complete?  Should I use the createElement directive to build
each <tr> as a separate object?  Does anybody have any feel for this?

-- Dave Lovering