[Javascript] Timing Issues

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Mon Jul 21 13:06:33 CDT 2003

Our intranet uses a server-side cache to store the results that could
take up to 15 minutes to retrieve from the SQL server.  The data is
presented in user-defined pages from 1 to 500 records at a time, with
first/previous/next/last and direct record number addressing.  Once the
eyeballing is done online, the user can click the export button to
retrieve a TAB delimited text file for easy import into Excel for use in
a pivot table or other analytic tool.  (why reinvent the pivot table,
when Excel does such a good job already?)

For the management types who just want to print a report, we serve
Crystal reports over the intranet via the crystal web control - this
solution does the number crunching on the server, allows
paging/drill-down/etc. and prints exactly as IT-serviced crystal reports
(rather than the ugly HTML print IE gives you)

For really serious number crunching analytics, consider giving your
user(s) a real database management package. <g>