[Javascript] Timing Issues

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Mon Jul 21 13:15:39 CDT 2003

Here's another idea:  If the user is only looking at a few key fields in
the browser, then only present those fields during the initial display.
When they confirm the result set is what they really want, THEN compose
the download for a bulk transfer.  (like writing a data file, then
redirecting the browser to an FTP download)

The "look and feel" stage would be improved in relation to the amount of
fields cut from the viewing process, and then the user is just going to
have to learn that half a million records takes a while to send over the
wire.  (maybe they'll learn to write better queries)

I'm not sure how PHP does buffering at the server, but in the ASP model
there is a .flush method that causes the buffer to be sent to the
browser each time it is executed.