[Javascript] Pre-selecting a Select Box multiple items using a convenientfunction

Chris Tifer christ at saeweb.com
Thu Jun 19 14:24:33 CDT 2003

Sure...

var objEl = document.forms['formName'].elements['dropdownName']

for(var x = 0; x , objEl.length; x++){
    var strVal = objEl.options[x].value
    if(strVal.indexOf(strMatchingCriteria) > 0){
        objEl.options[x].selected = true

Something like that should work (I haven't tested for errors), but I'm not
so sure it's going to be able to select multiple matches if that's what
you're looking
for.  In your case of expanding to radios, it wouldn't be possible anyway
as multiple radio buttons cannot be checked as long as they are part of a
group.

Now with checkboxes, that could definitely be done.

Hope that helps,

Chris Tifer
http://emailajoke.com