[Javascript] Encrypting JavaScript

Michael Dougherty michael_dougherty at pbp.com
Wed May 14 15:25:29 CDT 2003

Considering that:
x = 1

Becomes:
var V1AQAPKRV="z'02'1F'023"; V1Avjgnglevj=""; V1Aqapkrv="";var V02amfg3;
V02amfg3=V1AQAPKRV.length;for (i=0;i<V02amfg3;i++){
V1Avjgnglevj+=String.fromCharCode(V1AQAPKRV.charCodeAt(i)^2) }
V1Aqapkrv=unescape(V1Avjgnglevj);document.write(V1Aqapkrv);

  It seems to me to just be an ugly mess.  I wouldn't call that
"encrypted" because someone could interpret it the same way the
javascript processor would - ie: it's not "secure"

  It does make it more difficult for the causally curious to see what
you're doing.  That's probably why it's called the javascript obfuscator
rather than the javascript encryptor.

  If you write elegant javascript, share it with the rest of us.
  If you write javascript that you want to hide, accept any criticism
and learn to write (more) elegant javascript.

  If there's a business/legal/etc reason that your javascript should not
be publicly available, then you're probably using the wrong tool for the
job...  (my $0.02)