[Javascript] Download time

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Sat May 31 15:02:36 CDT 2003

Charlie,

	.NET has nothing to do with slow access times for web pages, unless of
course you're doing inefficient coding.  The framework does require more
resources than running without it, but this is true of anything you install
on your machine.

Andrew,

	If you have a large DHTML application, chances are that the browser is
taking a long time to render it (120kB is a lot for one page, especially if
that doesn't include images).  As for server caching, that's not really
going to speed up client-side performance unless your page has to physically
obtain the Javascript from a database or somehow create it from an algorithm
that you've created.
	As with any web application, of course page size will affect the speed of
multiple downloads; the more people download it, the more bandwidth you need
for your server.  Maybe I'm not correctly understanding the question...
	Let me reiterate that browser rendering is probably your biggest concern at
this point.  I don't know exactly how to optimize it -- especially without
seeing the code -- but I highly suggest you approach the problem from that
angle.  That said, I don't know how fast your client or server internet
connection is, so you might check into that too :)
	I hope this has been of some help...

Cheers,

Peter