[Javascript] Debugger

Hakan M. hakan at backbase.com
Thu Nov 20 05:20:29 CST 2003

I prefer Netscape/Mozilla because it does what you expect it to do.
offsetLeft is always offsetLeft, where in IE, offsetLeft can be anything
from a picture of Barbara Streisand to the amount of imaginary
microsoft-units to the closest, probable parent (providing that parent
isn't positioned relatively, or contains some other *highly advanced*
properties that IE can't handle, altough the support was promised back
in the years where scientists promised the wheel and fire).

I find it pretty obvious that Microsoft is deliberately keeping their
browser incompatible and poorly updated, in order to secure the
development possibilities of it. Let's face it, they litteraly have an
army of developers, adding PNG-support, adding XML-support, fixing the
box model, anything could be supported. But by dominating with
non-standard applications and solutions, they make sure that THEY are in
control of any development. If we want anything, we'll have to ask them
to do it, because their native software just isn't up to the task.

Instead of using JavaScript, they invent JScript.
Instead of supporting XML/PNG natively, they throw in some ActiveX-junk.
Instead of using XUL, they invent their own crap, which will be
non-standardised of course.

I makes me sick to think about the fact that Microsoft is actually board
members at W3c. Feels like a law firm that employs theives and murderers
to me. If Microsoft ever had any intentions of beeing standards
compliant at all, they would've been there ages ago. As it is now, their
top-of-the-line, newest browser doesn't have half-decent support for
XHTML, something that became a recommendation in the year 2000. That's
four years ago.