[Javascript] Escaping the PLUS SIGN

innerlab.com info at innerlab.com
Sun Sep 14 14:30:23 CDT 2003

Hello:

I am trying to replace plus signs in a string with another character, but
I am getting a lot of errors. Below is a simple example in which a text
in a string is replaced by another:

var str ="She sells sea shells by the sea";  // original string

var strCut = "shells";  // text to be replaced by the one below
var replStr = "food";  // text that replaces the one above

// replacing actions
var reg = new RegExp("\\b" + strCut + "\\b", "gi" )
var newstr = str.replace(reg, replStr)

//   output
document.write(newstr)

The original string becomes "She sells sea food by the sea"

Now, how can I make the variable strCut be a plus sign?

Thanks in advance