[Javascript] dynamically setting the value for a file select element

Geoff Corriere geoff at cpe1.com
Mon Sep 22 08:35:59 CDT 2003

Hello,

I have a form that users fill out to order products. Prior to
submitting the form to place the order, the form gets submitted in
order to calculate pricing. PHP handles the server side programming and
kicks back the pricing, the form, and all the data the user entered to
the same file that originally submitted the form. Any data the user
previously entered into form fields (such as name & address) gets
flowed into the form. This works fine with form elements such as text
fields and radio selects.

The problem I am having is with <input type="file"> elements. I have
not figured out a way to dynamically set the value of the element. I
cannot set the value of the element using PHP. And any attempts to set
the value with JavaScript give me "Security errors" in Venkman's JS
debugger.

Any ideas on dynamically setting the value for a file select element?

Thanks
Geoff