[Javascript] urgent

David Lovering dlovering at gazos.com
Fri Apr 16 07:43:22 CDT 2004

Dear Swati:

The ASP and Oracle stuff sounds like server-side application code, with some kind of SQL query to preload the CAF pull-down.  Incidently, I'm not sure you really need a combo-box (which isn't part of the W3C standard I have in front of me), but rather a dynamic "select" menu (which is platform portable, and MUCH easier to design handlers for).  JSP / Javascript are both capable of rewriting the contents of a select-box on-the-fly with no trouble.

I'd start with the HTML image of what you want the thing to look like, and then ask the list for assistance in manipulating just the facets you need help with (that are Javascript-focused, anyway).  There are other very good bulletin-board/list-servers which handle ASP and Oracle issues, which may be more germane to your problem.

I'd suggest beginning with something simple, like a "skeleton" HTML prototype, i.e;

<head>
  <title>MyTest</title>
</head>
  <form>
    <select name='vanity'>
      <option>gold</option>
      <option>platinum</option>
      <option>silver</option>
      <option>funny</option>
    </select><br>
    <select name='CAF'>
      <option>none</option>
    </select>
  </form>

... and then adding the handlers, hooks to external (server-side) routines, etc. as required.  Obviously, a great deal of beautification can take place here by putting the pull-downs and their requisite names inside a table, adjusting the cell and border parameters, etc. etc., but that isn't strictly germane to your problem.

-- Dave Lovering