[Javascript] JavaScript Prompt Box

Paul Novitski paul at novitskisoftware.com
Fri Apr 16 11:56:44 CDT 2004

Mark,

It sounds like you probably want to 'roll your own' prompt box instead of
using the built-in javascript prompt function.  Something like:

         <input id="PromptBoxInput" type=text />

         <button onClick="jsProcessPromptBox('true')">OK</button>
         <button onClick="jsProcessPromptBox('false')">CANCEL</button>

<select onChange="jsRevealPromptBox(options[selectedIndex].value)">
         <option></option>
         <option value="winnt">Windows NT</option>
         <option value="win2k">Windows 2000</option>
         <option value="winxp">Windows XP</option>
</select>

To reveal the prompt box, position it wherever you want on the screen and
toggle its visibility.  Or fix its x/y coordinates in CSS with
#PromptBox{}, where you can also set its colors, borders, etc.

The other alternative is to create a child window with window.open().

Paul